Before we begin with the JAMB Subject Combination for Geology alongside other relevant information, it’s vital you know that this course is for candidates with a good background in science subjects. What we mean is that only science students will be allowed to study Geology in any Nigerian University.
In this article we will be listing the proper subjects combination in JAMB, WAEC, Direct Entry and other requirements that will qualify you to stand the chance of studying Geology in any Nigeria University that will be listed below.
We will present the information orderly. First, we will list the ‘O’ Level (WAEC, GCE, NECO) required subject combination, JAMB UTME subject combination, Direct Entry requirements, as well as Special consideration (waivers). You also get to find out places you can work with a degree in Geology.
O Level subject combination for Geology
Before being qualified to study Geology in any Nigeria University you must ensure you have not less than five (5) credit passes in your SSCE (WAEC, GCE, NECO). Below are the required O Level subjects that you must pass to stand the chance of being admited into any Nigeria University offering Geology. Below are the required subjects:
3). Use of English Language.
5). Physics or any other subject.
a). UNIZIK accepts ‘Pass’ in Use of English Language.
b). AAUA, MAUTECH and OOU and require Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics as UTME subjects.
c). UNN and UNICAL require five (5) ‘O level credit passes in Biology, Chemistry, English Language, Mathematics and Physics. EBSU don’t accept physically challenged candidates as a result of the strenuous nature and requirement of transversing mountainous areas and difficult terrains.
d). AJAYI, UNIBEN and UNILORIN accept ‘O’ level credit passes in Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and Physics and they don’t accept Geography.
e). OSUSTECH require SSCE credit passes in Use of English Language, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology/Geography and Physics.
f). EKSU accepts a pass in English Language for candidates who have distinction in Mathematics or Physics.
g). UNIPORT don’t accept credit in Geography in lieu of Biology.
h). UI requires 5 or 6 ‘O’ level credit passes at one or two sittings and they must include Use of English Language, Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and one of the following: Geography, Further Maths, Technical Drawing and Economics.
i). DELSU requires credit pass in Physics.
J). KSU, FUTO and UNIPORT accept credit pass in Physics as the fifth subject.
K). UNIOSUN accepts five ‘O’ Level credits in SSCE and they must include Use of English Language, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics to form the core subjects, alongside credit in any of the following subjects: Agricultural Science/Biology and Geography in not more than two sittings.
L). WUSTO accepts five ‘O level credit passes in Chemistry, Use of English, Mathematics, Physics & one (1) other relevant subject.
M). NDU requires five ‘O’ level credit passes in Biology/Geography, Use of English Language, Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry.
N). ABU accepts Five O’ level credit passes in Biology, Use of English Language, Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry.
O). OSUSTECH requires credit passes in Biology/Geography, Use of English Language, Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry.
P). FUTMINNA requires at least a pass in Physics.
Q). UNILAG accepts credit passes in Biology, Use of English Language, Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry.
R). NDU requires HSC, ND passes in any two (2) of Biology/Geography, Physics, or Chemistry.
S). UNN require five O’ level credit passes in Biology, Use of English Language, Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry.
JAMB Subject Combination for Geology
Jamb are in charge of the subject combination. They usually give just three subjects which must fall within Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics.
Requirements to Study Geology [Direct Entry]
Direct Entry Requirement:
(i) Two (2) A Level passes from Biology, Chemistry, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, and Physics.
a). UNIZIK requires ND credit in Agricultural Science/Biology and Chemistry into 100 level.
b). UNIZIK requires ‘A-level passes in Geography and HND credit in Mining Engineering.
c) UNIZIK require ‘A-level passes in Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics.
d) OAU and UNIBEN don’t accept ‘A’ level in Geography.
e) UNIPORT – No Direct Entry.
f) UNILORIN requires ‘A level’ passes in Physics and Chemistry in addition to O’ level credit passes in Biology and Maths. ND certificates are not accepted.
g) MAUTECH requires two (2) ‘A-level passes in Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics and Physics.
h) UI don’t accept HND in Mining Engineering.
i) OAU accepts HD upper credit
J) UI and AJAYI accept ND upper credit in Geology and other related prorammes.
k) DELSU accepts Chemistry and one (1) of Biology/Mathematics/Physics.
L) FUTMINNA requires NCE credit, ND/HND lower credit plus five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes in Biology, Chemistry, Use of English Language, Mathematics and any other Science subject as well as ‘O’ level pass in Physics.
M). OOU accepts ND/Professional Certificate lower credit in Mining and Geology.
N). AAUA requires ND upper credit in Science Engineering or any other relevant programmes.
O). UNIBEN in addition to the UTME requirements requires
i). NCE merit with ‘O’ level credit pass in Chemistry or Biology.
ii). ND upper credit / HND lower credit in Mining, Science Laboratory Technology or other relevant programmes.
P). WESLEYUNI accepts
i). ND upper credit in plus five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes or its equivalent.
ii). Two (2) ‘A’ level passes in any of Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Economics and one (1) other relevant subject.
Q). UNiversity of IBADAN requires two (2) ‘A level subjects from Chemistry, Physics, Geography, Mathematics and one (1) other Science subjects or ND upper credit in Geology. They don’t accept Geography as a UTME subject.
R). OAU requires ND upper credit in Geology.
S). UNIOSUN accepts two (2) ‘A-level passes in Mathematics, Chemistry or Physics. ND lower credit in Science Laboratory Technology.
T). UNICAL doesn’t accept ‘A’ level passes in Biology and Geography.
U). UNN accepts ‘A-level passes or its equivalent in Chemistry, Physics, Maths or ND upper credit or HND lower credit in Geological Technology or Geology for admission into a four (4) year programme in Geology or Geology/Physics plus the UTME requirements.
V). OSUTECH accepts two (2) ‘A level passes in Physics and Geography or Maths.
W). UNICAL accepts two (2) ‘A-level passes from Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics plus the UTME requirements.
X). UNILAG accepts ‘A’ level passes in the following JUPEB subjects: Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics, and candidates must also have ‘O’ level credit pass in Biology.
Y). BUK doesn’t accept NCE.
Z). FUTO accepts two (2) ‘A’ level passes not below Grade C from Chemistry, Biology, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Land Surveying and Geography. They also accepts ND/HND upper credit in relevant programmes. Candidates must also meet the UTME requirements in addition. They don’t accept First Degree and NCE.
Universities in Nigeria Offering Geology
- AJAYI CROWTHER UNIVERSITY, OYO, OYO STATE
- AAUA (ADEKUNLE AJASIN UNIVERSITY, AKUNGBA-AKOKO, ONDO STATE)
- ABUAD (AFE BABALOLA UNIVERSITY, ADO-EKITI, EKITI STATE)
- ABU (AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY, ZARIA, KADUNA STATE)
- ARTHUR JARVIS UNIVERSITY, AKPABUYO, CROSS RIVER STATE
- ACHIEVERS UNIVERSITY, OWO, ONDO STATE
- AKSU (AKWA IBOM STATE UNIVERSITY, IKOT-AKPADEN, AKWA IBOM STATE)
- AL- HIKMAH UNIVERSITY, ILORIN, KWARA STATE
- ANCHOR-UNI (ANCHOR UNIVERSITY, AYOBO, LAGOS STATE)
- BAYERO UNIVERSITY, KANO, KANO STATE
- UNIBEN (UNIVERSITY OF BENIN, BENIN CITY, EDO STATE)
- UNICAL (UNIVERSITY OF CALABAR, CALABAR, CROSS RIVER STATE)
- COOU (CHUKWUEMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU UNIVERSITY, ULI, ANAMBRA STATE)
- DELSU (DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY, ABRAKA, DELTA STATE)
- EBSU (EBONYI STATE UNIVERSITY, ABAKALIKI, EBONYI STATE)
- EKSU (EKITI STATE UNIVERSITY, ADO-EKITI, EKITI STATE)
- FED-GUSAU (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, GUSAU, ZAMFARA STATE)
- FED-KEBBI (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, BIRNIN-KEBBI, KEBBI STATE)
- FED-LOKOJA (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, LOKOJA, KOGI STATE)
- FED-LAFIA (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, LAFIA, NASARAWA STATE)
- FED-NDUFU (ALEX EKWUEME FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, NDUFU-ALIKE, EBONYI STATE)
- FED-OYE EKITI (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, OYE-EKITI, EKITI STATE)
- FUPRE (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF PETROLEUM RESOURCES, EFFURUN, DELTA STATE)
- FUTO (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OWERRI, IMO STATE)
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, MINNA, NIGER STATE
- GREGORY UNIVERSITY, UTURU, ABIA STATE
- GSU (GOMBE STATE UNIVERSITY, TUDUN WADA, GOMBE, GOMBE STATE)
- UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN, ILORIN, KWARA STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN, IBADAN, OYO STATE
- KASU (KADUNA STATE UNIVERSITY, KADUNA, KADUNA STATE)
- KSU (KOGI STATE UNIVERSITY, ANYIGBA, KOGI STATE)
- KUST (KANO UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, WUDIL, KANO STATE)
- UNILAG (UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS, LAGOS STATE)
- IBRAHIM BADAMASI BABANGIDA UNIVERSITY, LAPAI, NIGER STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF MAIDUGURI, BORNO STATE
- MAUTY (MODIBO ADAMA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, YOLA, ADAMAWA STATE)
- NDU (NIGER DELTA UNIVERSITY, WILBERFORCE ISLAND, BAYELSA STATE)
- OAU (OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY, ILE-IFE, OSUN STATE)
- OOU (OLABISI ONABANJO UNIVERSITY, AGO-IWOYE, OGUN STATE)
- OSUSTECH (ONDO STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, OKITIPUPA, ONDO STATE)
- RSUST (RIVERS STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, PORT HARCOURT, R/STATE)
- SKYLINE UNIVERSITY NIGERIA, KANO, KANO STATE
- SALEM UNIVERSITY, LOKOJA, KOGI STATE
- UDU (USMANU DANFODIO UNIVERSITY, SOKOTO, SOKOTO STATE)
- UNIOSUN (OSUN STATE UNIVERSITY, OSOGBO, OSUN STATE)
- UNN (UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA NSUKKA, ENUGU STATE)
- WESLEY UNIVERSITY, ONDO, ONDO STATE
Places You Can Work with a Degree in Geology
With a degree in Geology, you can work in various places and you are presented with so many opportunities such as;
- Environmental consulting
- Mining and geological engineer
- Well site geologist