Mechanical Engineering happens to be one of the most competitive courses in Nigeria which is one of the reasons we came up with this article. In order to provide you with Waec & Jamb Subject Combination for Mechanical Engineering, Direct Entry requirements, etc we came up with this well-writen post.
We also provided the list of Nigerian Universities offering Mechanical Engineering alongside their special consideration and waiver. First of all, one of the requirements that will qualify you to study this course is that you must be a student with a science background. Below are the various requirements you need to effortlessly apply for admission into any higher institution in Nigeria to study Mechanical Engineering which is under the Faculty of Engineering, Environment & Technology.
Waec Subject Combination for Mechanical Engineering
Just like we mentioned in the beginning, your O’level subject combination plays a vital role in determining whether you are qualified to study Mechanical Engineering or not. You must have credit passes in five (5) compulsory O’level required subjects for this Mechanical Engineering.
The subject combination can also be applied to GCE, NECO and WAEC. The Waec Subject Combination for Mechanical Engineering includes:
1). Use of English Language.
5). And any one (1) other Science subject.
WAIVER / SPECIAL CONSIDERATION
1). FED-OYE EKITI requires 5 ‘O’ level credit passes in SSC which includes Mathematics, English Language, Chemistry, Physics and one Science or Social Science subject.
2). UNIJOS, UNILAG and OSUSTECH require ‘O’ level credit pass in Further Mathematics.
3). FUNAAB requires ‘O’ level credit pass in Biology.
4). LASU requires 6 ‘O’ level credit passes in Physics, Mathematics, Use of English Language, Chemistry, 1 Science subject and any other subject at not more than 2 sittings.
5). MAUTECH requires Chemistry, Physics and Agricultural Science/Biology /Geography/Technical Drawing/Further Mathematics/Welding and Fabrication Engineering craft practice.
6). UNIMAID accepts ‘O’ level pass in Use of English Language.
7). NDU requires 5 ‘O’ level credit passes in Mathematics, Use of English Language, Chemistry, Physics and any other subject at not more than 2 sittings.
8). NDA requires one other Science/Technical subject from Further Mathematics, Technical Drawing, Geography and Biology.
JAMB Subject Combination for Mechanical Engineering
JAMB cut-off mark for this course is 180 for Universities, though we suggest you aim for 200 in order to stand a better chance. There are three (3) compulsory subjects in which you must meet in the JAMB UTME examination. The 3 JAMB subject combination needed to study Mechanical Engineering includes;
WAIVER / SPECIAL CONSIDERATION
1). OOU requires any 3 of Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Biology/Agric. Science.
Direct Entry Requirements to Study Mechanical Engineering
If you are not applyin for admission to study Mechanical Engineering in any institution through UTME, then you will have to satisfy the Direct Entry Requirement for Mechanical Engineering.
1). Two (2) A Level passes from Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry.
2). ND upper credit, NCE technical and HND in Mech. Engineering.
WAIVER / SPECIAL CONSIDERATION
1). ABU accepts
i). Two ‘A’ level/IJMB passes from Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
ii). ND upper credit, NCE credit and HND lower credit in Mechanical Engineering.
2). UNIABUJA accepts ND upper credit or HND lower credit in Mechanical Engineering from accredited institutions in addition to UTME requirements.
3). BELLS accepts
a) Two ‘A’ level/IJMB passes from Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
b) ND/HND upper credit in Mechanical Engineering.
4). UNIPORT, NDU, CARITAS – No Direct Entry.
5). COOU accepts ND/HND lower credit in Mechanical Engineering in addition to at least an ‘O’ level pass in English Language.
6). FUNAAB accepts `A’ level passes in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics or it equivalents. FUNAAB accepts ND upper credit in Mechanical Engineering or relevant programmes.
(7). ESUTECH does not accept ND lower credit for Direct Entry.
8). FUTA accepts
i). GCE ‘A’ level passes at one sitting in at least two (2) of Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics and plus ‘O’ level requirements.
ii). ND upper credit or other professional qualification in the relevant programmes in addition to the ‘O’ level requirements.
9). FUTO requires at least 2 ‘A’ Level passes not below C in any of Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics. Accepts ND/HND upper credit in relevant programmes into 200 or 300 levels respectively. All the candidates must also satisfy UTME requirements. They don’t accept first degree or NCE.
10). UNIJOS requires 2 ‘A’ level passes in Physics and Mathematics. They also accepts ND credit in Mechanical Engineering plus ‘O’ level credit pass in Mathematics.
11). LASU accepts
i). HND upper credit or ND distinction into 200 level.
ii). HND distinction into 300 level.
12). UNIILORIN – Same as in Agricultural and Biosystem Engineering. Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering and Agricultural Engineering all includes in the Relevant programmes.
13). MAUTECH accepts
i). `A’ level passes in the relevant subjects and you must have at least 3 ‘O’ level credit passes in Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics.
ii). IJMB 7 points in Physics, English, Chemistry/Mathematics.
iii). ND/HND with a minimum of lower credit in relevant Course.
14). LAUTECH accepts Agricultural Science in lieu of Biology.
15). FUTMINNA accepts ND/HND lower credits in relevant courses.
16). CARITAS requires 2 ‘A’ level passes in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry in addition to ‘O’ level credit pass in English Language. It also accepts ND (NCE Technical) or HND (Mechanical Engineering) for Direct Entry.
17). NDA requires the other Science subject from Further Mathematics, Technical Drawing, Geography and Biology.
18). FUTA, OAU, and BAYERO – do not accept NCE Technical.
19). LAUTECH and FUAM accept ND/HND upper credit into 200 and 300 levels respectively.
20). OOU accepts HND/ND in relevant programmes.
21). UNIUYO- As in Computer Engineering.
22). OAU admits ND/HND upper credit in Mechanical Engineering to Part II and III appropriately.
Nigerian Universities Offering Mechanical Engineering
- AAU (AMBROSE ALLI UNIVERSITY, EKPOMA, EDO STATE)
- ABSU (ABIA STATE UNIVERSITY, UTURU, ABIA STATE)
- ABU (AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY, ZARIA, KADUNA STATE)
- ABUAD (AFE BABALOLA UNIVERSITY, ADO-EKITI, EKITI STATE)
- AFIT-DEG (AIR FORCE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, KADUNA, KADUNA STATE)
- AKSU (AKWA IBOM STATE UNIVERSITY, IKOT-AKPADEN, AKWA IBOM STATE)
- AJAYI CROWTHER UNIVERSITY, OYO, OYO STATE
- AUE (ADELEKE UNIVERSITY, EDE, OSUN STATE)
- ABUBAKAR TAFAWA BALEWA UNIVERSITY, BAUCHI, BAUCHI STATE
- BAZE UNIVERSITY, ABUJA, FCT
- BAYERO UNIVERSITY, KANO, KANO STATE
- BELLS UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OTA, OGUN STATE
- UNIBEN (UNIVERSITY OF BENIN, BENIN CITY, EDO STATE)
- BIU (BENSON IDAHOSA UNIVERSITY, BENIN CITY, EDO STATE)
- CARITAS UNIVERSITY, AMORJI-NIKE, ENUGU, ENUGU STATE
- COOU (CHUKWUEMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU UNIVERSITY, ULI, ANAMBRA STATE)
- COVENANT UNIVERSITY, CANAAN LAND, OTA, OGUN STATE
- CRUTECH (CROSS RIVERS UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, CALABAR, CROSS RIVERS STATE)
- DELSU (DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY, ABRAKA, DELTA STATE)
- EKSU (EKITI STATE UNIVERSITY, ADO-EKITI, EKITI STATE)
- EUI (EDO UNIVERSITY, IYAMHO, EDO STATE)
- ELIZADE UNIVERSITY, ILARA-MOKIN, ONDO STATE
- FED-NDUFU (ALEX EKWUEME FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, NDUFU-ALIKE, EBONYI STATE)
- FED-OYE EKITI (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, OYE-EKITI, EKITI STATE)
- FED-OTUOKE (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, OTUOKE, BAYELSA STATE)
- FUNAAB (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE, ABEOKUTA, OGUN STATE)
- FUPRE (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF PETROLEUM RESOURCES, EFFURUN, DELTA STATE)
- FUTA (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, AKURE, ONDO STATE)
- FUTO (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OWERRI, IMO STATE)
- GREGORY UNIVERSITY, UTURU, ABIA STATE
- IGBINEDION UNIVERSITY, OKADA, BENIN CITY, EDO STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN, ILORIN, KWARA STATE
- IMSU (IMO STATE UNIVERSITY, OWERRI, IMO STATE)
- UNIVERSITY OF JOS, JOS, PLATEAU STATE
- KSUSTA (KEBBI STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, ALIERO, KEBBI STATE)
- KADUNA POLYTECHNIC (AFFILIATED TO AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY, ZARIA)
- KUST (KANO UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, WUDIL, KANO STATE)
- KWASU (KWARA STATE UNIVERSITY, MALETE, ILORIN, KWARA STATE)
- LANDMARK UNIVERSITY, OMU-ARAN, KWARA STATE
- LASU (LAGOS STATE UNIVERSITY, OJO, LAGOS STATE)
- LAUTECH (LADOKE AKINTOLA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OGBOMOSO, OYO STATE)
- MADONNA UNIVERSITY, ELELE, RIVERS STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF MAIDUGURI, BORNO STATE
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE, MAKURDI, BENUE STATE
- MARITIME-UNI (NIGERIAN MARITIME UNIVERSITY, OKERENKOKO, DELTA STATE)
- MAUTY (MODIBO ADAMA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, YOLA, ADAMAWA STATE)
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, MINNA, NIGER STATE
- NAUB (NIGERIAN ARMY UNIVERSITY, BIU, BORNO STATE)
- NDA (NIGERIAN DEFENCE ACADEMY, KADUNA, KADUNA STATE)
- NDU (NIGER DELTA UNIVERSITY, WILBERFORCE ISLAND, BAYELSA STATE)
- OAU (OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY, ILE-IFE, OSUN STATE)
- ODUDUWA UNIVERSITY, IPETUMODU, OSUN STATE
- FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC, OFFA, KWARA STATE
- OOU (OLABISI ONABANJO UNIVERSITY, AGO-IWOYE, OGUN STATE)
- OSUSTECH (ONDO STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, OKITIPUPA, ONDO STATE)
- UNIPORT (UNIVERSITY OF PORT-HARCOURT, RIVERS STATE)
- RSUST (RIVERS STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, PORT HARCOURT, R/STATE)
- TECH-IBADAN (TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY, IBADAN, OYO STATE)
- TSUJ (TARABA STATE UNIVERSITY, JALINGO, TARABA STATE)
- MICHAEL OKPARA UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE, UMUDIKE, ABIA STATE
- UNIZIK (NNAMDI AZIKIWE UNIVERSITY, AWKA, ANAMBRA STATE)
- UNN (UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA NSUKKA, ENUGU STATE)
- UNILAG (UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS, LAGOS STATE)
- UNIOSUN (OSUN STATE UNIVERSITY, OSOGBO, OSUN STATE)
- UDU (USMANU DANFODIO UNIVERSITY, SOKOTO, SOKOTO STATE)
- UDU-ELUON (USMANU DANFODIYO UNIVERSITY ( – eLEARNING), SOKOTO, SOKOTO STATE)
- UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN, IBADAN, OYO STATE
- UNIUYO (UNIVERSITY OF UYO, AKWA IBOM STATE)
- UNIVERSITY OF ABUJA, ABUJA, FCT
Places You can Work with a Degree in Mechanical Engineering
The job opportunity for those with a degree in mechanical engineering is so much. They can either decide to work for the government or a private sector companies. Below are the various Job opportunities open for Mechanical Engineers in Nigeria:
1). Safety Engineer.
2). Maintenance Engineer.
3). Design Engineer.
4). Production Supervisor/Engineer.
5). Quality Assurance, etc.