PHARMACY is one of the most sorted after course in Nigeria, which is the reason we have decided to write this article which centers on the proper O’Level and JAMB subject combination for Pharmacy as well as their UTME and Direct Entry (DE) admission requirements.
Apart from what we already mentioned above, we also added the special consideration (Waivers) for this course plus the list of Universities in Nigeria offering the course. Below you will also find the places where you can work with a degree in Pharmacy.
Before we begin, it’s important we inform you that Pharmacy happens to be under the faculty/College of MEDICAL/PHARMACEUTICAL/HEALTH SCIENCES. And, you are required to have a science background to be qualified to study this course. This simply means that art or commercial students are not suitable or eligible for this course. Below are the UTME and Direct Entry admission requirements.
RELATED CONTENTS: NURSING/NURSING SCIENCE – (Admission Requirements).
JAMB UTME Subject Combination for Pharmacy
There are only three (3) subjects that you are required to face in your JAMB UTME examination and they will be listed below. Note that English Language is a compulsory subject in UTME.
There is no special consideration for this category. This simply means that aspiring candidates who want to study Pharmacy in any Nigerian University must stick with the subjects listed above.
O’Level Subjects and Requirements for Pharmacy
All Universities in Nigeria requires candidates applying for pharmacy to possess not less than five (5) SSC credit passes in the required subjects listed below:
5). English Language.
WAIVER/ SPECIAL CONSIDERATION
- UYO and UNN require the five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes listed above at not more than two (2) sittings.
- UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN (UI) Same as in Medicine and Surgery.
- NDU and UNILORIN require the five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes listed above at not more than two (2) sittings.
Direct Entry Admission Requirement for Pharmacy
If you don’t want to apply for this course through UTME, then you must fulfill the Admission Requirement for Direct Entry (DE) candidates.
- Three (3) ‘A’ level passes in Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics and Biology/Zoology in addition to UTME requirements.
1). OOU accepts Botany in lieu of Zoology.
2). UNIBEN requires an ‘A’ level pass in Botany in lieu of Biology. They also accept B.Sc. second class in related programs.
3). UNILORIN accepts B.Sc. second class upper division or a minimum of twelve (12) Points in Anatomy, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Zoology, Chemistry, Physiology, and other Basic Sciences Plant Biology and Industrial Chemistry.
4). UNN accepts:
- Bachelor’s degree in any of Health Science, Biological Sciences and Technology, or Medical Sciences with a minimum of second class lower division in addition to the UTME requirements.
- Three (3) ‘A’ level passes in the following: Chemistry, Physics, and Biology/Botany/Zoology in addition to the UTME requirements at not more than two (2) sittings.
- HND upper credit in Health Science, Biological Sciences and Technology or Medical Sciences in addition to the UTME requirements.
5). OAU requires B.Sc. with a minimum of 2nd Class Honours in the relevant program (Sciences).
6). UNIUYO and UNIBEN don’t accept ‘A’ level pass in Maths.
7). NDU accepts:
- ‘A’ level passes in Mathematics, Physics, or Statistics, Chemistry and Biology/Botany/Zoology at not more than two (2) sittings.
- A first degree in Chemistry or any of the Biological Sciences.
- General requirements for admission in the University, such as five (5) SSC credit passes in relevant subjects which must include English Language and Mathematics at the ‘O’ level.
8). UNILAG accepts:
- Don’t accept B.Sc degrees.
- Three (3) JUPEB/’A’-level subjects: Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.
9). UNIJOS does not accept Maths in place of Physics. They accept B.Sc second class and above in relevant, related programs. They also accept candidates with ‘A’ level requirements in addition to five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes in Biology, Mathematics, English Language, Chemistry, and Physics.
UNIVERSITIES IN NIGERIA OFFERING PHARMACY
- ABU (AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY, ZARIA, KADUNA STATE)
- BAYERO UNIVERSITY, KANO, KANO STATE
- UNIBEN (UNIVERSITY OF BENIN, BENIN CITY, EDO STATE)
- BINGHAM UNIVERSITY, KARU, NASARAWA STATE
- COOU (CHUKWUEMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU UNIVERSITY, ULI, ANAMBRA STATE)
- DELSU (DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY, ABRAKA, DELTA STATE)
- ESUTECH (ENUGU STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, ENUGU, ENUGU STATE)
- GSU (GOMBE STATE UNIVERSITY, TUDUN WADA, GOMBE, GOMBE STATE)
- UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN, IBADAN, OYO STATE
- IGBINEDION UNIVERSITY, OKADA, BENIN CITY, EDO STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN, ILORIN, KWARA STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF JOS, JOS, PLATEAU STATE
- KASU (KADUNA STATE UNIVERSITY, KADUNA, KADUNA STATE)
- UNILAG (UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS, LAGOS STATE)
- MADONNA UNIVERSITY, ELELE, RIVERS STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF MAIDUGURI, BORNO STATE
- NDU (NIGER DELTA UNIVERSITY, WILBERFORCE ISLAND, BAYELSA STATE)
- OAU (OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY, ILE-IFE, OSUN STATE)
- OOU (OLABISI ONABANJO UNIVERSITY, AGO-IWOYE, OGUN STATE)
- PHC (UNIVERSITY OF PORT-HARCOURT, RIVERS STATE)
- UDU (USMANU DANFODIO UNIVERSITY, SOKOTO, SOKOTO STATE)
- UNIZIK (NNAMDI AZIKIWE UNIVERSITY, AWKA, ANAMBRA STATE)
- UNN (UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA NSUKKA, ENUGU STATE)
- UNIUYO (UNIVERSITY OF UYO, AKWA IBOM STATE)
Career/Jobs for those with a Degree in PHARMACY
- Hospital pharmacist
- Community pharmacist
- Research scientist (medical)
- Science writer
- Higher education lecturer
- Clinical research associate
- Regulatory affairs officer
- Medical sales representative
- Research scientist (life sciences)
- Product/process development scientist
- BIOLOGY – (Admission Requirements).
- ANIMAL SCIENCE – (Admission Requirements).
- BIOMEDICAL TECHNOLOGY – (Admission Requirements).
- BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING – (Admission Requirements).
- NURSING/NURSING SCIENCE – (Admission Requirements).
- APPLIED BIOLOGY – (Requirements & Subject Combination).
- ANIMAL NUTRITION – (Requirements & Subject Combination)