School Of Technology which is also known as either institute of technology, technological university, university of technology, technological educational institute, technical university, polytechnic university (AKA polytechnic), or technical college, are all tertiary education institutions (For instance college or university) that pays more attention to engineering courses, natural science, technology, and applied science.
On this page, you will find the top 10 Schools Of Technology that you can find in Nigeria. We will give you brief detail of each of the institutions as well as their courses. So, without any further delays, below are the top 10 institutes of technology in Nigeria.
Top 10 School Of Technology You Can Find In Nigeria
Below are the top 10 technological educational institutes in Nigeria alongside their courses. You will also find a link to their official school websites.
1). Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
The Federal University of Technology, Owerri also referred to as Futo, is regarded as the best engineering school in Nigeria. The University was founded by the Federal government of Nigeria and it is located in Owerri West, the capital of Imo State.
It was established in the year 1980 and is currently one of the premier technological universities in western Africa. It is still currently the only Federal University of Technology in the south-east of Nigeria. They are well-known for their practicals in various engineering courses. Below are the faculties and courses you will find in FUTO.
Below are the eight (8) colleges you will find in FUTO (Federal University of Technology, Owerri):
- School of Engineering and Engineering Technology (SEET)
- School of Agriculture and Agricultural Technology (SAAT)
- School of Management and Management Technology (SMAT)
- School of Information and Communication Technology (SICT)
- School of Environmental Science (SOES)
- School of Basic Medical Sciences (SBMS)
- School of Biological Sciences (SOBS)
- School of Physical Sciences (SOPS)
- School of Health (SOHT)
If you are already admiring FUTO and wish to know if they have the course you want to study, then below are all the courses offered in the Federal University of Technology, Owerri.
2). Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA)
Another recommended School Of Technology In Nigeria is the Federal University of Technology, Akure AKA FUTA. The institution was established by the Federal government of Nigeria in the year 1981. The goal of the institution is to produce students with practical and theoretical knowledge of technologies.
FUTA runs Short-Term courses and University Advanced Basic Science programs, as well as pre-degree science programs. Webometrics rankings rated FUTA in 2015 as the best university of technology in Nigeria. Below are the Faculties (Schools) and Courses offered in FUTA.
FUTA currently has nine (9) Schools with lots of engineering, technology, and science-related course. Below are the nine schools in Futa:
- School of Engineering and Engineering Technology (SEET)
- School of Agricultural and Agricultural Technology (SAAT)
- School of Health and Health Technology (SHHT)
- School of Earth and Mineral Sciences (SEMS)
- School of Environmental Technology (SET)
- School of Management Technology (SMAT)
- School of Postgraduate Studies (SPGS)
- School of Computing (SCOM)
- School of Science (SOS)
3). Federal University of Technology, Minna (FUTMINNA)
The Federal University of Technology, Minna is another School Of Technology that is loved by many Nigerians. It also is known as FUTMINNA for short. The institution was established in 1983 and is owned by the Federal government of Nigeria. It’s responsible for producing some of the best engineers in Nigeria. Below are the faculties and courses offered in FUTMINNA.
As of last year, there were 10 schools (faculties) created and operated by the Federal University of Technology, Minna. Below are the ten (10) faculties in FUTMINNA:
- School of Infrastructure, Process and Engineering Technology
- School of Entrepreneurship and Management Technology
- School of Information and Communication Technology
- School of Engineering and Engineering Technology
- School of Agriculture and Agriculture Technology
- School of Environmental Technology
- School of Technology Education
- School of Post Graduate Studies
- School of Physical Sciences
- School of Life Sciences
4). University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
The University of Nigeria, Nsuka happens to be one of the oldest universities in Nigeria. It was established in 1955 by Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, though it was officially opened on the 7th of October 1960. The institution which is usually referred to as UNN is currently operating as a Federal University and it’s situated at Nsukka, Enugu State, Nigeria.
UNN is actually the first autonomous and full-fledged indigenous university in Nigeria and it models after the American educational system. They celebrated their 50th anniversary in October 2010 and are currently 60 years old. The University of Nigeria, Nsuka is among the top five (5) most reputed Nigerian Universities. They currently have 102 academic departments, while the faculties are just 15. They are currently run 211 postgraduate programmes and 82 undergraduate programs.
- UNN Faculty of Agriculture.
- UNN Faculty of Arts.
- UNN Faculty of Biological Sciences.
- UNN Faculty of Education.
- UNN Faculty of Business Administration.
- UNN Faculty of Engineering.
- UNN Faculty of Environmental Studies.
- UNN Faculty of Dentistry.
- UNN Faculty of Health Science and Technology.
- UNN Faculty of Law.
- UNN Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
- UNN Faculty of Physical Sciences
- UNN Faculty of Medical Sciences.
- UNN Faculty of Social Sciences.
- UNN Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
5). Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
The Obafemi Awolowo University which is also referred to as OAU happens to have one of the most rated faculty of technology. The institution itself is highly recognized both at home and abroad.
OAU is a federal university and was formerly called the University of Ife. The institution was established in 1961 (Though classes began in October 1962) and currently located in one of the oldest cities in Nigeria, Ile-Ife, in Osun State. On May 12, 1987, the institution changed its name to Obafemi Awolowo University (which it still uses to date) in honor of Late Chief Obafemi Awolowo (1909–1987) who happens to be the first premier of the Western Region of Nigeria.
OAU Notable Faculties
Below are some of the notable faculties in OAU:
- OAU Faculty of Information Technology and Communications Unit.
- Medical and health facilities.
6). Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT)
The Air Force Institute of Technology usually referred to as AFIT, in short, is a federal University in Nigeria (Was a Monotechnic). It specializes in providing basic training on aerospace engineering, avionics, and Aeronautics. They are well known for their immense support for the civilian communities as well as the Nigeria Air Force (NAF) with the provision of basic training.
They have just five faculties and has recently added quite a number of courses. Below are the five (5) faculties in AFIT:
- School of Postgraduate Studies (SPS)
- School of Air Engineering (SAE).
- School of Ground Engineering and Environmental Studies (SGEES).
- School of Business and Management Studies ( SBMS).
- School of Technical and Vocational Training (STVT).
7). Yaba College of Technology
Yaba College of Technology, popularly referred to as YABATECH, is Nigeria’s first higher educational institution established in 1947. In 1969, the institution was granted the mandate to provide part-time and full-time courses of training and instruction in technology, agricultural production and distribution, commerce and management, applied science; and for research. It is located in Yaba, Lagos and currently has over 16,000 student enrollment.
8). Institute of Management Technology (IMT)
The Institute of Management Technology happens to be one of the best polytechnic colleges in Nigeria. It is located in Enugu State, Nigeria and focuses more on providing Engineering and Technology courses to its students.
9). Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH)
The Ladoke Akintola University of Technology which is also referred to as LAUTECH, for short, is a tertiary institution presently situated in Ogbomoso, Oyo State, in Nigeria. The institution was established on April 23, 1990, but began its first academic session six months later (October 19, 1990) with a total number of 436 candidates enrolled in four faculties.
Presently LAUTECH has seven (7) faculties with each of them having their various departments. Below are the seven faculties you can find in LAUTECH.
- Clinical Sciences.
- Basic Medical Sciences.
- Management Sciences.
- Pure and Applied Science.
- Agricultural Sciences.
- Engineering and Technology.
- Environmental Sciences
10). University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
The University of Ilorin was established in 1975 and is considered one of the best Universities in Nigeria. Its engineering faculty is top-notch and almost second to no other. The institution has more than 3,000 staff which includes both those on contract. It presently enrolls 30,000 students and still maintains Kwara State as its main location.
- Faculty of Administration.
- Faculty Of Agriculture.
- Faculty Of Arts And Humanities.
- Faculty Of Education.
- Faculty Of Engineering/Technology/Environment.
- Faculty Of Law/Legal Studies.
- Med/Pharm/Health Sciences.
- Faculty Of Sciences.
- Faculty Of Social Sciences.
What is your position on this top “Top 10 School Of Technology In Nigeria (Institutes Of Technology)”? Do you think the list should be corrected? Please your opinion on this topic is highly welcome. Also, feel free to share this content with your friends so we get to know their take on this topic.