This article will provide you with the WAEC and JAMB Subject Combination for Nursing/Nursing Science. In addition to that, we will also be listing the Nigerian Universities where you can study Nursing/Nursing Science alongside special requirements and waivers.
As a bonus for visiting our website, you will also find the various occupations you can engage in with a degree in Nursing/Nursing Science.
WAEC Subject Combination for Nursing/Nursing Science
To stand the chance of being admited into any Nigerian University offering Nursing/Nursing Science, you must have to have not less than five (5) credit passes in the required SSCE (WAEC, NECO, GCE) examination. The five (5) required subjects will be listed below:
- Use of English Language
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (WAIVER):
1). AAU accepts only five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Use of English Language in one sitting.
2). UI and ABU don’t offer admission through UTME.
3). UI requires 5 or 6 ‘O’ level credit passes in 1 or 2 sittings and the subjects must include Biology/Health Science, Use of English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry and one other subjects from Economics, Literature in English, Government, History, Physics or Geography.
4). NDU accepts ’O’ level credit passes in not more than 2 sittings.
5). University of Nigeria Nsuka requires ‘O’ level credit passes or its equivalent in not more than 2 sittings.
JAMB Subject Combination for Nursing/Nursing Science
In UTME, there are three (3) JAMB UTME subject combination needed to study Nursing / Nursing Science which is under the Faculty of Medical, Pharmaceutical & Health Sciences. Below are the three require JAMB subject combination to study Nursing / Nursing Science:
Requirement for Nursing/Nursing Science (Direct Entry)
1). Two ‘A Level’ passes in Chemistry, Biology/ Zoology, Physics and Chemistry in addition to three (3) other O Level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics and Physics.
2). NRN or its approved equivalent in addition to five (5) O Level credit passes in Use of English Language and 4 other Science subjects chosen from Human Anatomy, Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Physiology and Hygiene, Further Mathematics, Health Science and General Science.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (WAIVER):
1). AAU accepts
a). Registered Nurse/Midwife RN, RM in addition with one year post registration experience; as well as RN,RNT or RN,RNA, or RN, RPN in addition to UTME requirements.
b). Nice first degree programme e.g. Human Physiology, Biochemistry, Anatomy, Psychology, Guidance and Counselling, and Health Education.
c). They don’t accept a degree in Botany and Zoology.
2). ABU requires
a). ‘A’ Level/IJMB passes in 3 subjects among Chemistry, Physics and Biology or Zoology.
b). Registered Nurse certificate with not less than 5 ‘O’ Level credit passes in Chemistry, Biology, English Language, Physics and Mathematics.
3). ABUAD accepts 3 ‘A’ level passes in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
4). ADELEKE – ND credit in addition to UTME requirements.
5). UNICAL requires NRN or its approved equivalent in addition to 5 ‘O’ level credit passes to include Use in English Language and 1 Science subject from the subjects listed in their “Direct Entry Requirements” column in addition to 2 years registration nursing experience.
6). UNIBEN requires 3 ‘A’ level passes in Chemistry, Biology/Zoology and Physics iin addition to ‘O’ level credit passes in 5 subjects which must include Chemistry, Mathematics, English, Physics and Biology.
7). UNICAL accepts ND in Environmental Health as well as Public Health Nursing which must be from West African Health Examination Board in addition to the UTME requirements and HND in Public Health, .
8). Eboni State University accepts HND, NCE and ND with Upper credit and a minimum of Merit in the relevant programme.
9). UI requires any one (1) of the following professional qualifications listed below:
b). Nursing Admin
c). General Nursing
e). Psychiatric Nursing
f). 2 years post registration experience in health related programme with 1st Degree with a preference to more than five (5) years experience for candidates.
g). 2 ‘A’ level passes in Physics, Biology and Chemistry in addition to the UTME requirements.
10). UNILORIN accepts 2 ‘A’ level passes or its equivalents in Biology, Zoology, Botany, Physics/Mathematics, Chemistry.
11). UNIJOS accepts 3 ‘A’ level passes in Biology/Zoology, Chemistry and Physics in addition to ‘O’ level credit passes in Use of English Language and Mathematics.
12). UNILAG Accepts
i). All direct entry candidates to meet with the minimum UTME requirements.
ii). Passes in 3 JUPEB subjects, Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
iii). Registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria as RN/RM or RN with not less than 2 years of post-registration cognate experience.
iv). ‘A’ level passes or its equivalents in not less than 2 subjects from Chemistry, Biology, Zoology and Physics.
v). A degree from recognized University in any health related subjects with a minimum entry requirements for College of Medicine programme.
NOTE: Without prejudice to all requirements listed above, the Department can still conduct an interview for prospective candidates.
13). LAUTECH Requires
i). ‘A’ level or eits quivalents with passes in Biology, Chemistry and Physics (or Zoology).
ii). Registered Nurse Certificates in addition to UTME requirements or its equivalent (approved by Senate) in addition to ‘O’ level credit passes in Chemistry, English Language, Biology, Mathematics and Physics.
c) First Degree of LAUTECH approved by Senate in any related profession or programme in addition to the UTME requirements.
14). NDU Requires:
i). NURSES: Registered Nurses, Registered Psychiatric Nurses, Registered Midwives (RM), in addition to five 5 ‘O’ level credit passes in Mathematics, English Language, Biology, Physics and Chemistry in not more than 2 sittings.
ii). NON-NURSES: B.Sc. which will not be lower than Second Class in any relevant programme like: Human Nutrition, Biochemistry, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Medical Microbiology and any other relevant programme.
15). OAU requires Certificate of Registered Nurse or SRN or its equivalent which is approved by Senate in addition to ‘O’ level credit passes in Use of English Language, Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry and Biology.
16). UNN Requires
i). Candidates registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria in addition to the UTME requirements.
ii). 3 ‘A’ level passes in Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology in not more than two (2) sittings in addition to UTME requirements.
iii). 1st degree in related programme
17). UNIPORT – No Direct Entry.
Nigerian Universities Offering Nursing/Nursing Science
- AAU (AMBROSE ALLI UNIVERSITY, EKPOMA, EDO STATE)
- ABSU (ABIA STATE UNIVERSITY, UTURU, ABIA STATE)
- ABU (AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY, ZARIA, KADUNA STATE)
- ABUAD (AFE BABALOLA UNIVERSITY, ADO-EKITI, EKITI STATE)
- ACHIEVERS UNIVERSITY, OWO, ONDO STATE
- ATIBA UNIVERSITY, OYO, OYO STATE
- AUE (ADELEKE UNIVERSITY, EDE, OSUN STATE)
- BABCOCK UNIVERSITY, ILISHAN-REMO, OGUN STATE
- BAYERO UNIVERSITY, KANO, KANO STATE
- BSU (BENUE STATE UNIVERSITY, MAKURDI, BENUE STATE)
- BINGHAM UNIVERSITY, KARU, NASARAWA STATE
- BOWEN UNIVERSITY, IWO, OSUN STATE
- DELSU (DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY, ABRAKA, DELTA STATE)
- EBSU (EBONYI STATE UNIVERSITY, ABAKALIKI, EBONYI STATE)
- EUI (EDO UNIVERSITY, IYAMHO, EDO STATE)
- FED-KEBBI (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, BIRNIN-KEBBI, KEBBI STATE)
- IGBINEDION UNIVERSITY, OKADA, BENIN CITY, EDO STATE
- IMSU (IMO STATE UNIVERSITY, OWERRI, IMO STATE)
- UNIZIK (NNAMDI AZIKIWE UNIVERSITY, AWKA, ANAMBRA STATE)
- UNIBEN (UNIVERSITY OF BENIN, BENIN CITY, EDO STATE)
- UNIILORIN (UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN, ILORIN, KWARA STATE)
- UDU (USMANU DANFODIO UNIVERSITY, SOKOTO, SOKOTO STATE)
- UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN, IBADAN, OYO STATE
- UNICAL (UNIVERSITY OF CALABAR, CALABAR, CROSS RIVER STATE)
- UNIVERSITY OF JOS, JOS, PLATEAU STATE
- UNIPORT (UNIVERSITY OF PORT-HARCOURT, RIVERS STATE)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAIDUGURI, BORNO STATE
- UNIOSUN (OSUN STATE UNIVERSITY, OSOGBO, OSUN STATE)
- UNN (UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA NSUKKA, ENUGU STATE)
- LASU (LAGOS STATE UNIVERSITY, OJO, LAGOS STATE)
- LAUTECH (LADOKE AKINTOLA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OGBOMOSO, OYO STATE)
- LCITY (LEAD CITY UNIVERSITY, IBADAN, OYO STATE)
- MADONNA UNIVERSITY, ELELE, RIVERS STATE
- NDU (NIGER DELTA UNIVERSITY, WILBERFORCE ISLAND, BAYELSA STATE)
- NOUN (NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, LAGOS STATE)
- OAU (OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY, ILE-IFE, OSUN STATE)
- OOU (OLABISI ONABANJO UNIVERSITY, AGO-IWOYE, OGUN STATE)
- OSUMS (ONDO STATE UNIVERSITY OF MEDICAL SCIENCES, LAJE ROAD, ONDO, ONDO STATE)
- PAMO UNIVERSITY OF MEDICAL SCIENCE, PORT HARCOURT, RIVERS STATE
- REDEEMERS UNIVERSITY, OSUN STATE
- RHEMA UNIVERSITY, ABA, ABIA STATE
Places You Can Work with ‘A Degree in Nursing/Nursing Science
With a degree in Nursing / Nursing science you can be able to work as a;
1). Traditional adult nurse
2). Nursing those with mental health issues or learning disabilities
8). Social worker