Animal Production happens to be one of the courses that are fast becoming competitive in Nigeria. On this page, we are going to be showing you the Subjects Required for Animal Production.
We will also be showing you the Direct Entry (DE) requirements and a list of Universities in Nigeria where you can study Animal Production which happens to be under the faculty of Agriculture/Vet. medicine. In addition to the aforementioned, we will be adding the places you can work with a degree in animal production, as well as special consideration (waiver) for animal production.
It’s very important that you go through this article in other to get the proper knowledge that will help you to seamlessly register and apply for admission into any University in Nigeria where you can study Animal Production.
JAMB UTME Subjects Requirement for Animal Production
First of all, note that the JAMB cut-off mark for animal production is 180 for Universities in Nigeria. Though we urge you to score up to 200 and above to stand a better chance of being admitted into the University based on merit. Below is the three (3) JAMB UTME subject combination for Animal Production.
2). Biology/Agricultural Science.
i). LAUTECH requires Mathematics/Physics, Biology/Agricultural Sciences, and Chemistry.
ii). CRUTECH requires Physics, Mathematics and one of Chemistry or Biology.
O’Level Subject Combination for Animal Production
There are five (5) required O’Level subjects that are relevant to this course. You are required to have a credit pass in all the five subjects in your SSCE. Below are the O’Level subjects required for Animal Production which is under the faculty for Agriculture/Vet. medicine:
1). Biology/Agricultural Science.
2). English Language.
- ABSU requires ‘O’ level credit in Physics.
- UMUDIKE – Same as in Agriculture.
- EKSU, CRUTECH, UNIZIK, and FUAM accept ‘O’ level pass in Physics.
- NDU requires 5 ‘O’ level credit passes in Mathematics, English Language, Physics, Chemistry, Agricultural Science or Biology.
- FUNAAB Same as in Agriculture Extension and Rural Development.
- FUTMINNA – Same as in Water Resources, Aquaculture, and Fisheries Technology.
- BAUCHI and ADSU accept ‘O’ level pass in Physics with ‘O’ level pass in Mathematics or vice-versa.
- LAUTECH requires Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science, Mathematics, English Language and Physics.
- JABU accepts ‘O’ level pass in Physics.
- UNIZIK accepts ‘O’ level pass in English Language. ‘O’ level pass in Physics or ‘O’ level credit pass in Mathematics or vice versa.
- FUTA requires 5 credit passes in SSC or its equivalent at a maximum of 2 sittings in the following subjects: Mathematics, Physics, Biology or Agricultural Science, English Language, and Chemistry.
Animal Production Direct Entry Requirement
If you intend to study Animal production with UTME, then you must ensure that you meet the DIRECT ENTRY (DE) Requirement for Animal Production which is listed below:
- Two (2) ‘A’ level passes or its equivalent in Chemistry and one (1) of Botany/Biology/Zoology/Geography/Agricultural Science/Geology/Economics/Mathematics.
- UMUDIKE, EKSU, and MAKURDI – Same as in Agricultural Economics.
- UI requires 2 of Chemistry, Physics and Biology and ND/HND in Animal Health and Husbandry or Agriculture.
- NDU – Same as in Fisheries Technology.
- FUTMINNA and ATBU accept NCE, ND, HND with overall credit passes in each of the Agricultural components of the program or a minimum of lower credit in addition to 4 ‘O’ level credit passes in important subjects.
- FUTA may consider Direct Entry candidates into 200 levels of the program if they have National Diploma (ND) with a minimum of upper credit or its equivalent which must be from a recognized Polytechnics and Colleges of Technology in relevant programs (Agricultural sciences). Direct Entry candidates are also required to meet the UTME admission requirements. Candidates with GCE ‘A’ level or its equivalent with passes in at least 2 of the following subjects: Chemistry, Biology and Physics will also be considered for admission into 200 level.
- EKSU – As in Agricultural Economics and Extension. They don’t accept NCE.
- JABU accepts Biology/Agricultural Science, Chemistry and any others from Physics, Geography, Economics, and Mathematics. ND/NCE upper credit in relevant areas.
- FUNAAB accepts
i). Two (2) ‘A’ level passes in Chemistry and 1 of Botany/Zoology/Biology/Agricultural Science, Physics or Mathematics.
ii). ND/HND upper credit in Agriculture from a recognized institution in any one of Animal Production and Health, Animal Sciences, Husbandry, Fisheries and Forestry, Agricultural Economics and Wildlife Management in addition to UTME requirements.
iii). NCE credit in Biology, Agricultural Science, Physics or Chemistry in addition to the UTME requirements.
- LAUTECH accepts ND with upper credit/HND/NCE at credit level in relevant subjects in addition to the UTME requirements.
- ADSU accepts ND distinction, HND credit, NCE credit double major in Agriculture
NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES YOU CAN STUDY ANIMAL PRODUCTION
- ADSU (Animal Production)
- ATBU (Animal Production)
- UMUDIKE (Animal Production)
- FUTA (Animal Production & Health)
- LAUTECH (Animal Production & Health)
- EKSU (Animal Production & Health Services)
- FUNAAB (Animal Production & Health Services)
- CRAWFORD (Animal Production & Fisheries)
- NDU (LiveStock Production & Fisheries)
- FUNAAB (Pasture and Range Management)
- FUTMINNA (Animal Production)
(with options in; (i) Animal Nutrition and Forage Science.
(ii) Animal Breeding and Physiology.
(iii) Animal Production and Management.
Places To Work with a Degree in Animal Production
- Pig Farmer
- Egg Farmer
- Dairy Farmer
- Horse Breeder
- Poultry Farmer
- Animal Geneticist
- Beef Cattle Farmer
- Aquaculture Farmer
- Animal Health Inspector
- Veterinary Theriogenologist
- Agricultural Extension Agent
- Equine Extension Agent
- ANIMAL PHYSIOLOGY – (Admission Requirements).
- ANIMAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL BIOLOGY – (Admission Requirements).
- ANIMAL BREEDING AND GENETICS – (Admission Requirements).
- ANIMAL NUTRITION – (Admission Requirements).
- ANIMAL NUTRITION AND BIOTECHNOLOGY – (Admission Requirements).
- ANTHROPOLOGY – (Admission Requirements).
- APPLIED ZOOLOGY – (Admission Requirements).